Now that it’s officially Super Bowl weekend, you’re probably thinking about all of the great food, drinks, and football that will be at your party. Once you’ve got all of the essentials planned — like who’s bringing the wings, dip, hoagies, etc — you might also consider making a backup plan for those driving home.
Without a doubt, the Super Bowl is a time for celebration. There is no shame in celebrating a little too hard, as long as no one gets behind the wheel afterward. If you’re hosting this year’s get-together, here are some tips you can use to ensure your guests stay safe:
- Take note of any designated drivers from the beginning of the night and make sure they’re the only ones with car keys
- Offer food and non-alcoholic drinks
- During the third quarter, throw on a pot of coffee and make sure there’s plenty of water available
- Keep your Uber app and local cab numbers handy
- Be prepared to set up the couch or air mattress for anyone who needs to sleep it off
If you’re the designated driver, be aware that not everyone on the road may be as responsible. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 40 percent of all traffic fatalities that occur in the U.S. on Super Bowl Sunday are alcohol-related. Be on the lookout for any cars that seem to be swerving or speeding, and always buckle up.