Animal Strikes High in October and November
Deer mating season is officially upon us, and unfortunately, it’s also the worst time of your vehicle collisions with deer. According to State Farm’s annual report, PA drivers are more likely than drivers in all but one other state to hit a deer. It’s estimated that 1 in 71 PA drivers will hit a deer within the next year.
From now until December, deer will be more active than usual — especially at dusk and dawn. According to PennDOT, there were 3,696 reportable crashes last year involving deer or other animals, resulting in 11 fatalities. Follow the following tips from AAA to prevent an accident or reduce damage from a collision:
- Use high beams when there is no oncoming traffic.
- If you see a deer, look for others following close.
- Always wear a seat belt.
- Try your horn to scare away animals.
- Use your brakes in an imminent collision, don’t swerve.
- Never approach a wounded animal. Call 911.