It’s that time of year again! The sun is shining, the birds are chirping–and potholes are plaguing the area.
The Philadelphia region is, of course, notorious for potholes, and this year is already pretty rough. That’s due in part to the moisture in the air and the cold weather followed by more mild temperatures. Moisture collects in pockets on the road, and all the expanding and contracting creates a recipe for disaster.
Potholes aren’t just a nuisance, they can cause serious damage to your vehicle. AAA reports that repair bills from damage can cost anywhere from $250-$1,000.
How to Avoid Damage From Potholes
PA is currently riddled with thousands of potholes, and it’s not for a lack of trying to improve road surfaces. PennDOT sends 30+ crews out each day, but the sheer volume of potholes make repairs difficult. If you spot a pothole, you should report it online or call 1-800-FIX-ROAD so it can get taken care of.
In the meantime, follow these 3 tips to avoid damage to your vehicle.
- Keep Your Tires at Their Recommended PSI. Check your owner’s guide and strive to keep your tire pressure at the recommended level. Not more, and not less.
- Avoid Puddles. Still waters run deep! And many puddles are deeper than they look. So if you see a puddle, try and navigate around it if possible.
- Slow Down. Usually, the more slowly you drive, the more control you have over your car. So slow down, especially if you’re on a street prone to potholes. That will help you navigate around while decreasing your risk.
Delco’s Most Pothole-Ridden Streets
Not sure which streets are prone? Here are some of the locations PennDOT is focused on repairing in Delaware County.
Be extra alert when traveling on:
- Interstate 95 in Upper Chichester, Ridley Tinicum townships, City of Chester;
- Interstate 476 in Ridley, Nether Providence, Marple, Radnor townships;
- U.S. 1 (Baltimore Pike) in Concord, Middletown, Marple, Upper Providence townships, Chester Heights Borough;
- U.S. 202 (Wilmington Pike) in Chadds Ford, Concord townships;
- U.S. 322 in Upper Chichester, Bethel, Concord townships;
- Route 252 (Providence Road) in Edgmont Township;
- Route 320 (Chester Road) in Nether Providence Township, Swarthmore Borough;
- Bishop Hollow Road in Upper Providence, Newtown townships;
- Darby Road in Upper Darby, Haverford townships;
- Lansdowne Avenue/Main Street in Darby Township, Yeadon Borough;
- MacDade Boulevard in Ridley Township, Glenolden Borough;
- Ridge Road in Lower Chichester Township;
- Blueball Avenue in Lower Chichester Township;
- Rose Valley Road in Nether Providence Township, Rose Valley Borough; and
- Bethel/Station Road in Concord, Bethel, Upper Chichester townships.
Click here for more information about Delaware County potholes. Stay safe on the road!