Car Accident Checklist
After a car accident, it’s easy to forget basic information. Keep this checklist in your car as a reminder of the steps to take after an accident. Make sure to call the police and don’t discuss who as fault with the other driver(s).
- Check yourself and passengers for injuries. Call 911 if medical attention is required.
- Move to safety. If your car works get out of traffic and to a safe location. Turn on warning lights. If the scene is safe you should take a picture of the accident before moving your vehicle
- Call the police. Unless there is no damage or injury involved, you should only discuss the accident with the police. Do not discuss who is at fault with witnesses or other drivers.
- Gather information from everyone involved in the accident including drivers and witnesses. Do not discuss the accident or who is at fault. We recommend recording the contact information at least one witness if possible.
- Driver’s Name ____________________
- Phone Number ___________________
- Address _________________________
- Insurance Company ________________
- Policy Number ____________________
- Witness Names and Phone Numbers
- Get police officer information.
- Officer Name _____________________
- Badge Number ___________________
- Police Department _________________
- Police Report Number ______________
- Record accident information.
- Car Make _________________________
- Car Model ________________________
- Car Year _________________________
- License Plate Number _______________
- Time of Day _______________________
- Location of Accident _________________
- Take lots of pictures. Document as much as possible with a camera including vehicles, drivers, surroundings, property damage, skid marks, etc. When in doubt take a picture but only if it is safe to do so.
- Contact your auto body shop. Before you speak to your insurance company call your preferred collision repair shop and get towed. The insurance company will often steer you towards their affiliated auto body shop which might not be what you want. Your collision center can handle your insurance claim.
Tip: Use your cell phone to take pictures of the scene, and even take a photo of the other driver’s insurance card.
Keep it in your car to take advantage of special discounts. Bring this paper with you to Direct Paint and Collision to save 20% on your insurance company’s deductible.